CDL Knowledge Tests
New Mexico MVD provides study material that allows you to see what material the Federal Government requires you to know before they can issue a CDL endorsement to your license. CDL Knowledge Testing is how MVD determines that you have read the material and more importantly that you understand it. In & Out MVD offers several CDL Knowledge Tests, however, you must specify and choose the test that pertains to the class of CDL and endorsement you are applying for. Please know that In & Out MVD does not offer the CDL Skills Test, only the CDL Knowledge Tests.
Use the following link to download a list of approved New Mexico CDL Examiners:
Use the following link to download the CDL Manual:
What documents are required to take a CDL Knowledge Test:
- Out-of-State of NM Driver’s License
Note: Other requirements will apply when processing your Commercial Driver’s License
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- CDL Knowledge Tests are NOT open book and you are not allowed to use any aids
- New Mexico MVD is very strict on cheating and if anyone is caught doing so they will be asked to leave and they will not be able to re-test for a full year from the date the test was cancelled in the system
- CDL Knowledge Tests are not required to exchange a valid out-of-state CDL for a New Mexico CDL with the same class and endorsements
- CDL Knowledge Test scores stay viable for one year
- The General CDL Knowledge Test is to be taken and passed prior to taking any Specialty CDL Knowledge Tests
- Your test score must be at least 80% to pass
- You may take the CDL Knowledge Tests up to twice a week if failed on the first attempt and there is no limit to the number of times you can take the test annually
- If you wish to add the Hazardous Materials (Hazmat) Endorsement (H or X) for the 1st time on or after February 7, 2022 then you must comply with Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT)
- You will need to take the theory training required for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement with a provider on the Training Provider Registry before the Knowledge Test can be taken
- You will also be verified by MVD against the Training Provider Registry that the training has taken place and that you have passed the class
- Additional information regarding the Training Provider Registry can be found HERE
- It is illegal for a Commercial License holder to possess more than one Commercial License
- In & Out MVD stops offering CDL Knowledge Tests 2 hours prior to closing to ensure you have enough time to complete your test
We are always just a call away!
We understand the complexities of CDL Knowledge Tests and the sense of intimidation and confusion they may bring to some but don’t worry, In & Out MVD is always just one call away to promptly answer any related questions you may have. Our goal is to offer guidance to ease and simplify the process for you to have a calm and confident mindset to help you tackle and successfully overcome these important tests. We are committed to giving you the best MVD customer service experience in New Mexico and would love the opportunity to earn your business. Visit or call us today, we are always here for YOU!