- Proof of identity (1 document)

- Proof of federal identification number (SSN)

- Proof of Nex Mexico residency (2 documents required)

Acceptable Documents

Provide certain documents from section A, B and C to get a New Mexico REAL ID. Your documents must be original or certified copies.
A certified copy is a copy of a primary document that is endorsed by the entity that issued the original document.

Photocopies, notarized photocopies and non-certified copies are NOT acceptable. A REAL ID can only be issued AFTER MVD has electronically verified the Lawful Status and Identification Number documents. For more information, please reference the Resource Guide on page 2 of this document.

A – Lawful Identity and Age

One document required.

  • Your current legal name will be listed on your REAL ID. The selected document must include your:
  • Name at birth, if not legally changed
  • Name at birth, + linking documents (marriage, divorce, adoption or court records) linking your legal name to your original identity document
  • Name currently used, i.e. passport
  • U.S. Passport or Card
  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • Affidavit of Birth Issued by any Tribal Nation’s Vital Records
  • Foreign Passport

– Plus 1 supporting document:

  • I-551 stamp
  • Visa and I-94
  • Certificate of Birth
  • Abroad U.S. Dept. of State FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545
  • Department of Homeland
  • Security (DHS) & US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) Issued Forms
  • Permanent Resident Card – I-551
  • Certificate of Naturalization – DHS N-550 or 570
  • Certificate of Citizenship – DHS N-560 or 561
  • Employment Authorization – I-766 or I-688B
  • REAL ID Act of 2005 Credential

– Plus 1 supporting document:

  • Unexpired immigrant or non-immigrant visa status for admission into the U.S.
  • Pending/approved application for U.S. asylum
  • Admission into the U.S. as a refugee
  • Pending/approved application for temporary protected U.S. status
  • Approved deferred action status
  • Pending application for adjustment of status to legal permanent or conditional resident
  • Conditional permanent resident alien status
  • Other documents DHS may designate listed by Federal Register

B – Identification Number

One document required.

Your Identification Number document must match your current legal name:

  • Linking documents may be used to tie name on ID number document to legal name
  • It may include, omit or abbreviate the suffix.
  • It may include, omit or abbreviate your middle name.
  • Social Security Number (SSN) Card
  • These Income Tax Forms W-21099 (SSA or Non-SSA)
  • Pay Stub (with full name and SSN)1
  • Foreign Passport – (with Visa and I-94)

The document presenting the Identification Number must include the entire Identification number (Example: xxx-xx-1234, is not an accepted number). C New Mexico Residency Provide Two (2) Documents

Your New Mexico Residency documents must match your current legal name:

  • Linking documents may be used to tie name on residency documents to legal name;
  • It may include, omit or abbreviate the suffix (i.e. “Jr.”); and
  • It may include, omit or abbreviate your middle name.

Square Documents Dated within 60 Days

  • Utility Bill, (no cell phone bill statements)
  • Bank or Credit Card Statement
  • Pay Stub
  • Education Institution Document (Transcript, Report Card or Enrollment)
  • Documents Dated within the past 6 Months
  • Insurance Bill, Card, or Binder

Square Documents with Current Date (not expired):

  • Real Property Rental or Purchase Agreement
  • Local Property Tax Statement
  • City, County, State, Tribal or Federal Document Attesting to NM Residency
  • NM Medical Card, Letter or Printout
  • NM Public Assistance Card, Letter or Printout
  • Document of eligibility & receipt of services from non-profit organization with IRS Section 501 (c) (3) status
  • Documents for Applicants

Under Age 18:

  • Membership in a NM Religious Organization.
  • Membership in a NM Sports Organization.
  • Parent/Guardian Affidavit of NM Residency (living in the home) – Plus Parent’s ID and 2 proofs of parent’s NM Residency

The selected documents must list your NM physical residential address. 

  • HC and P.O. boxes will not be accepted.
  • Printed paperless bill statements are acceptable