Close this search box.
Close this search box.

Standard Identification Card

These days, you need some type of photo ID to do just about everything.  From cashing a check, getting a job, picking up cough medicine or simply to verify your age, you will eventually be asked for an ID at one point or another.  A passport is useful in these cases but it’s also risky to go everywhere with it in your pocket or purse.  Many people use their Driver’s License, but if you don’t have one, you may opt to get an ID instead.  At In & Out MVD, we value your time and understand the process to obtain your New Mexico ID.  Our friendly and professional MVD Agents are readily available to assist you in this process when you are ready to apply for your ID.  Have a question or concern?  Give us a call today and experience our great customer service first hand!

New Mexico offers two types of Identification Cards, REAL ID and Standard Identification Cards.  Both types of ID’s are an acceptable form of identification, however, a REAL ID Identification Card can also be used to board a domestic flight within the U.S., enter federal courthouses, military bases, nuclear power plants and other secure federal facilities.  After May 3, 2023, the Standard Identification Card will not be accepted for those purposes.  Although we encourage a REAL ID compliant Identification Card, in the event you are unable to provide proof of Legal Status or you simply don’t want or need a REAL ID Identification Card for official federal purposes, you may apply for a Standard Identification Card.  No fingerprints and no social security number are ever needed, and under New Mexico law, Standard Identification Cards must be accepted for all other identification purposes in New Mexico on the same terms as a REAL ID credential.  This includes transactions like cashing a check or obtaining state and local government services.

Persons applying for a New Mexico Standard Identification Card are issued a temporary ID Card while their regular ID Card is being processed and mailed.  If you have an old Driver’s License or ID, it will be voided and may be used in conjunction with the temporary ID Card, for up to 45 days from the date of issue.

To obtain a Standard Identification Card, you will need the following:

Required Documents:

• Lawful Identity and Age (One (1) of the following):

    • U.S. Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
    • Valid U.S. Passport or US Passport Card
    • Affidavit of Birth issued by any Federally recognized Tribal Nation’s Vital Records
    • Valid Foreign Passport – must include:
      • I-551 Stamp or
      • US Visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the US (valid and verified by SAVE)
    • Consular Report of Birth abroad issued by US Dept. of State forms:
      • FS-240
      • DS-1350
      • FS-545
    • Documents issued from Department of Homeland Security or US Citizenship & Immigration Services
      • Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
      • Certificate of Naturalization (DHS forms N-550 or N-570)
      • Certificate of Citizenship (DHS forms N-560 or N-561)
      • Valid Employment Authorization (I-766 or I-688B)

   ***Note: Must be verified through Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements System (SAVE)

    • Real ID Act of 2005 Driver’s License or ID Card plus 1 of the following:
      • Unexpired immigrant or nonimmigrant visa status for admission into the US
      • Pending or Approved application for asylum in the US
      • Admission into the US as a refugee
      • Pending or approved application for temporary protected status in the US
      • Approved deferred Action Status
      • Pending application for the adjustment of status to legal permanent resident or conditional resident
      • Conditional permanent resident alien status
      • Other documents as DHS may designate by notice published in the Federal Register

• Proof of Residency in New Mexico (Two (2) of the following):

    • Current real property rental or purchase agreement
    • Most current Local Property Tax Document issued by County Assessor

       The following documents must be dated within 60 days

    • Utility Bill which includes water, gas, electric, propane, internet, cable, satellite (no cell phone bills)
    • Bank, Credit Card or Mortgage Monthly Statement
    • Employment Pay stub
    • Education Institution Document which include a transcript, report card or enrollment confirmation
    • City, County, State, Tribal or Federal document attesting to NM residency
    • NM Medical Assistance Card with letter from issuing agency that came with card showing name and address or profile print out from issuing agency or benefit award letter showing current benefits
    • NM Public Assistance Card with letter from issuing agency that came with card showing name and address or profile print out from issuing agency or benefit award letter showing current benefits
    • Document evidencing eligibility and proof that the applicant is currently receiving services from a non-profit organization qualified pursuant to Section 501 (C) (3) of the Federal IRS Code of 1986 provided the document displays the applicant’s physical address

       The following documents must be dated within 6 months and be unexpired

    • Insurance Bill, Card or Binder

       *If you are presenting a binder you must be the policy holder

       **Home, health, life, auto, homeowners and renter’s policies are acceptable

For Applicants under the age of 18

  • Document indicating membership in a NM religious organization issued by that organization
  • Document indicating membership in a NM sports organization issued by that organization
  • Affidavit from the applicants parent or guardian stating the applicant lives with that person as long as the affidavit is accompanied by the parent/guardian’s NM Driver’s License/ID Card If the parent has an out of state credential the parent must present 2 proofs of NM physical residency along with the affidavit. (This affidavit can be completed at our office)


  • All proof of residency documents MUST include your name and physical NM address, not a PO BOX or HC address
  • Printed paperless statements are acceptable
  • If you are married you can present proofs of residency in your spouse’s name along with the marriage certificate
  • All documents must be in English or submitted with a written translation. In & Out MVD offers translation services. Click HERE for translation services information.

Come by any time!

Getting an ID should be easy and that’s where we can help!  Although some requirements may seem confusing, know that we are by your side to make this process fast and easy.  Come by any time, no appointment is necessary as walk-ins are always welcome.  Visit or call us today, we are here for YOU!