Close this search box.
Close this search box.

Title Transfer & Registration

A Title Transfer and Registration is essential when buying a new or used vehicle.  In order to transfer and register a vehicle into your name, you will need some documents that are required by MVD related to your specific scenario.  However, there is no need to worry, In & Out MVD has your back and we are committed to helping you understand and simplify this process so you can confidently come in and take care of business and get on the road in no time!

Understanding a Title Transfer & Registration

Title Transfer:          Transferring ownership of a vehicle by putting your name on the title.  A title is legal proof of who actually owns a vehicle.
Registration:            Proves that you have paid the proper fees and taxes associated with New Mexico MVD in order to drive your vehicle.

Note:  You are not required to register your vehicle under a limited number of conditions.  However, it is highly recommended you at least put the vehicle under your name immediately before you incur any late Title Transfer penalty fees.  You may do so by applying for a “Title Only”.  The most common and allowed reason for a Title Only is:

    • Inoperable Vehicle: You may have purchased an inoperable vehicle for reconstruction or rebuilding, mechanical or otherwise, and don’t intend to operate it for an extended period of time.  In this case, you will only pay the title and excise tax fees.  No registration or plate is issued.  Once your vehicle is made operable, you may register the vehicle and pay the registration fees then.

To process a Title Transfer, you will need the following:

For Title Only (No Registration):

  • New Mexico Driver’s License or ID
    Note:  If you do not have a New Mexico Driver’s License or ID, please click HERE for a full list of other alternatives for proof of identity
  • Two (2) proofs of New Mexico Residency
    Note:  This only applies if you do not have a New Mexico Driver’s License or ID and are using another alternative for proof of identity
  • Original Certificate of Title
    Note:  A Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) is also acceptable if vehicle is brand new and was purchased from a dealership
  • Bill of Sale – MVD Form 10009
    Note:  Only applies if the Assignment by Owner and all Reassignments by Dealer (for use by Dealers only) have been used or completed
  • Purchase Agreement or Dealer’s Invoice (Only if purchased from a dealership)
  • Odometer Statement (One of the following):
    • Certificate of Title or Bill of Sale – MVD Form 10009
      (If purchased from a private party, these documents include the Odometer Statement already)
    • Odometer Mileage Statement on back of MCO
    • Odometer Mileage Statement – MVD Form 10187
      (If purchased at a dealership, they will provide this form)
    • Application for Title and Registration – MVD Form 10002
      (If purchased at a dealership, they will provide this form)
  • VIN Inspection
    Note:  Only applies if the Original Certificate of Title is from another state.  An In & Out MVD Certified VIN Inspector will assist you with this.  You just need to bring your vehicle with you at the time of Title Transfer.

For Title Transfer & Registration: (Include all of the above in the “Title Only” section plus the following to also process the Registration of your vehicle):

  • Proof of Insurance
    Note:  Minimum auto liability insurance amounts required in New Mexico are:
    • $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person
    • $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons, and
    • $10,000 for property damage in any one accident
  • Emission Test
    Note:  If you are a Bernalillo County resident and are registering your vehicle for the first time, you will need to provide an Emission Test, unless your vehicle is one of the following:
    • Brand new vehicle purchased from a dealership or manufacturer with no previous owner(s)
    • Your vehicle is 35 Years old or older
    • Motorcycle
    • ATV or UTV
    • Dedicated electric vehicle
    • Diesel vehicle
    • Vehicle that is only used for legally sanctioned competition
    • Farm equipment
    • Vehicle that is not operated on public streets and highways
    • Vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 lbs. or more

      If you live outside of the Bernalillo County area, you are not required to provide an Emission Test, unless you drive into Bernalillo County at least 60 days in a year.  You may visit the City of Albuquerque’s Air Quality website HERE for additional information.


Not all Title Transfer scenarios are alike.  There is always a special or different scenario in every Title Transfer that may require different documentation.  If you purchased a vehicle from a dealership, it is important not to lose any documents they gave you and to bring them to In & Out MVD.  Most of the time, these documents are essential and necessary to process your specific Title Transfer and is also the reason why the dealer may have given them to you.

If you borrowed money to purchase your vehicle, then you will have a Lien Holder.  When we process your Title Transfer, MVD will mail your original New Mexico Certificate of Title to your Lien Holder and they will keep it until you pay them off in full.  At that point, they will mail you your original Certificate of Title and a Release of Lien document.  However, even after you paid your Lien Holder off, their lien may still be active in the MVD database.  This is why we advise that you visit In & Out MVD and bring those documents to have them removed and apply for a clean Certificate of Title without the Lien Holder on it and update the MVD database.  This is a simple and fast transaction.

The following is a list of additional and common documents that may or may not apply to your Title Transfer:

• Affidavit of Gift of Motor Vehicle or Boat – MVD Form 10018

This form is required when the transfer of the vehicle or boat is a gift.  Both the donor and the recipient must sign this affidavit and have their signatures notarized.  No excise tax is charged by the State of New Mexico MVD for a gifted vehicle or boat.

• Limited Durable Power of Attorney – MVD Form 11020

This form is required if someone other than the person whose name will go on the title and registration is registering the vehicle for that person.  Both the vehicle owner and the person submitting this affidavit must sign it and have their signatures notarized.

• Affidavit of Correction Form – MVD Form 10019

This form is required to correct an error on a Certificate of Title or MCO that is being presented for the purpose of issuance of a New Mexico Title.  Only the seller is required to sign this form but it must be notarized.

• Affidavit of One and the Same Name – MVD Form 10008

This form is required to establish that various different names found on various forms of ID’s or documents refer to one person, the affiant.  This happens when erroneous spellings of a name, a missing first or second name, or even an additional name or other names are used for one person, business or company.  This form must be signed by the person that made the error and must be notarized.

• Release of Lien – MVD Form 10041

This form is required to remove a lien on a vehicle once the lien has been paid in full.  The Lien Holder is the person or entity who placed the lien on the vehicle and has a financial interest on said vehicle.  Most Certificates of Title have a section where the Lien Holder may sign to release their interest on the vehicle.  If this section isn’t signed by the Lien Holder, then this form will be required.

• Affidavit of Repossession – MVD Form 10012

This form is required when the vehicle that you purchased for which you are processing a Title Transfer, was a repossessed vehicle.  It informs government authorities that the vehicle was repossessed and provides details and a certified statement that all steps required by law in connection with such repossession were complied with.

For additional State of New Mexico MVD Forms, click HERE.  You will be re-directed to the State of New Mexico’s website “Most Popular Forms” page.


Motor Vehicle Excise Tax (MVET) fees:

The Motor Vehicle Excise Tax (MVET) applies to the sale of every motor vehicle that must be registered in the State of New Mexico.  Every time a vehicle is titled, a sale has occurred and the motor vehicle excise tax is due.  The tax is 4% of the price paid for the vehicle less any trade-in credit.  For non-dealer sales, however, the N.A.D.A. value is used instead of the declared purchase price, but only if the declared purchase price of the vehicle is lower than 80% of the N.A.D.A. average trade-in or wholesale value.  If the declared purchase price is higher than said value, then the declared purchase price will be used to calculate the MVET.

If a vehicle is legitimately transferred by gift, there is no sale, and no excise tax is due.  Any applicant for a vehicle title who claims that the vehicle was received by gift must submit a notarized Affidavit of Gift of Motor Vehicle or Boat (MVD Form 10018) in which both donor and recipient affirm under oath and under penalty of perjury that the vehicle was in fact transferred as a gift.

Payment is due at the time the buyer applies for a Certificate of Title.  When you purchase a vehicle through a dealer, the dealer may handle the application for you and collect the tax directly from you or include it in your financing if applicable.  Otherwise, you must pay the tax to MVD.

Registration fees:

The registration fees for passenger vehicles are based on the weight and model year of the vehicle.  Registration fees range from $27.00 to $62.00 for a one (1) year registration or $54.00 to $124.00 for a two (2) year registration.

The registration fees for trucks with a declared gross vehicle weight (DGVW) of 26,000 pounds or less are also based on the weight and model year of the vehicle.  Registration fees range from $38.00 to $207.00 for a one (1) year registration or $76.00 to $414.00 for a two (2) year registration.

The registration fee for motorcycles having not more than two wheels in contact with the ground, having three wheels in contact with the ground or having a sidecar, is $15.00 for a one (1) year registration.

The registration fees for other vehicle types such as RV’s, Buses, Utility & Travel Trailers and Off-Highway Vehicles vary significantly.  Please call us for an estimate.


Late Title Transfer Penalty Fee:

A $20.00 late transfer penalty fee applies if Application for Title is not made within 30 calendar days from the date of purchase.

Motor Vehicle Excise Tax (MVET) Penalty Fees:
A penalty of 50% of the MVET is imposed on any person who lives in New Mexico and either:

    1. Accepts transfer of a vehicle in New Mexico but fails to apply for a certificate of title within 90 days or
    2. Accepts transfer outside the state and fails to apply for a certificate of title within 90 days of bringing the vehicle into New Mexico

The 50% add-on penalty has the effect of increasing the tax rate to 6% (4% x 1.5 = 6%).

Note:  If a vehicle is acquired out-of-state, and another state’s gross receipts, sales, compensating or similar tax was paid, the amount of the tax paid may be credited against the MVET due on the same vehicle.

Visit us today for the best MVD experience!

At In & Out MVD, Title Transfers and Registrations are only some of our specialties.  We realize that many of the related requirements may be confusing or complicated, but don’t worry, we have your back!  We are 200% committed to making your MVD visit simple and hassle-free by offering unmatched guidance and customer service in our industry.  Your questions and concerns are top priority for us so please call us any time and allow us the opportunity to serve you and earn your business.  Visit us today for the best MVD experience in New Mexico!