Close this search box.
Close this search box.

Title Transfer & Registration

For new residents in New Mexico

If you are new to the Land of Enchantment, WELCOME!  As a New Mexico resident, one of your priorities should be to transfer your vehicle’s Title and Registration to New Mexico.  In & Out MVD can assist you in this process to get you on the road with your New Mexico License Plate & Registration in no time!  To help simplify this process and make your first MVD experience in New Mexico a pleasant one, we have compiled some useful information and guidance to accomplish this task in one trip.  We understand your time is valuable so feel free to reach out to clarify any concerns or to simply verify you have everything you need prior to your visit.

It is important to know that according to state law and MVD policy, a nonresident vehicle owner may use or permit the use of the vehicle within the state for a period of one hundred eighty days without registering the vehicle, if the vehicle displays current registration plates issued in the state where the owner resides.  However, any person gainfully employed in New Mexico for 30 days or more within a 60-day period shall be presumed to be a New Mexico resident and therefore must register the vehicle immediately.

The most common vehicles that must be registered in New Mexico generally include:

    • Passenger Vehicles (Cars, SUV’s and Minivans)
    • Trucks
    • Motorcycles
    • Recreational Vehicles (Motor-Homes, Travel Trailers, Popup/Fifth-wheel Trailers)
    • Buses
    • Utility Trailers
    • Off-Highway Vehicles (ATV’s, UTV’s or Snowmobiles)

To transfer you vehicle to New Mexico, you will need the following:

  • Valid Driver’s License or ID
    Note:  You may use your out-of-state Driver’s License or ID if you haven’t converted it to a New Mexico credential yet.  If you do not have a valid Driver’s License or ID, you may also use another alternative proof of identity.  Click HERE for a full list of other acceptable alternatives for proof of identity.  Click HERE to learn how to convert your out-of-state Driver’s License or ID to a New Mexico credential.
  • Two (2) proofs of New Mexico Residency
    Note:  This only applies if you used an out-of-state Driver’s License/ID or another alternative proof of identity.
  • Original Certificate of Title
    Note:  If your vehicle is currently financed then your Lien Holder will have the original Certificate of Title to your vehicle. Don’t worry, this will just require 2 visits to our office for the following 2 steps:
    1. (1st Visit): In & Out MVD must order the original Certificate of Title from your Lien Holder.  In order for us to do this, you will need to do the following:
      • a. Bring your vehicle for a VIN Inspection

(A Certified In & Out MVD VIN Inspector will inspect the VIN on your vehicle.  This is required for all vehicles coming to New Mexico from another state to verify that your vehicle matches the information on all documents and in our state’s database.  Our VIN Inspector will also obtain your vehicle’s odometer reading.)

      • b. Lien Holder Information (A recent account statement may be useful)
        • Name & Address of Lien Holder

        • Phone & Fax numbers

        • Loan or Account Number
    1. (2nd Visit): Once we receive your vehicle’s original Certificate of Title from your Lien Holder, we will call you to come finish your Title Transfer and Registration.

Note:  Once we process your Title Transfer and Registration, a new Certificate of Title from New Mexico will be mailed to your Lien Holder to replace the out-of-state title they sent to us.

  • Proof of Insurance
    Note:  Minimum auto liability insurance amounts required in New Mexico are:
    • $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person
    • $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons, and
    • $10,000 for property damage in any one accident
  • Emission Test
    Note:  If you are a Bernalillo County resident and are registering your vehicle for the first time in New Mexico, you will need to provide an Emission Test, unless your vehicle is one of the following:
    • Brand new vehicle purchased from a dealership or manufacturer with no previous owner(s)
    • Your vehicle is 35 Years old or older
    • Motorcycle
    • ATV or UTV
    • Dedicated electric vehicle
    • Diesel vehicle
    • Vehicle that is only used for legally sanctioned competition
    • Farm equipment
    • Vehicle that is not operated on public streets and highways
    • Vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 lbs. or more


Note: If you live outside of the Bernalillo County area, you are not required to provide an Emission Test, unless you drive into Bernalillo County at least 60 days in a year.  You may visit the City of Albuquerque’s Air Quality website HERE for additional information.

YOU are the reason we are in business!

Our goal is to offer as much useful and important information related to your transaction up front and prior to your visit to avoid unnecessary or repeated visits to our office.  Although we love to see you conducting business in our offices, we also understand and value your time.  Never hesitate to call us before you visit us to make sure you have everything you need to handle your business.  We are always just one call away and we will always welcome your inquiries.  YOU are the reason we are in business!  Thank you for allowing us to serve you, see you soon!