Knowledge Test (Written Test)
Before you get your New Mexico Driver’s License, remember you must pass a Knowledge Test (Written Test). This test confirms that you know enough about the rules and concepts of driving to safely operate a vehicle. Are you ready to take your Knowledge Test? No worries, In & Out MVD has you covered! We offer this test and can help you obtain your New Mexico Driver’s License or Permit today! No appointment is necessary as walk-ins are always welcome.
New Mexico offers the Knowledge Test in the following languages:
In order to pass this test your score must be 70% or better, however, in the event you do not pass on your first attempt, you are allowed to re-take this test a 2nd time that same day. If you do not pass on your 2nd attempt, you will have to wait 1 week to re-take this test, and if you do not pass on your 3rd attempt, you will then have to wait 6 months to re-take it again.
Persons required to take a Knowledge Test:
- A person applying for a first-time New Mexico Driver’s License or Permit
- A person with an out-of-country Driver’s License is required to take the Knowledge Test in order to get a New Mexico Driver’s License
- A person whose license has been expired for one year or more
- A person whose license has been expired or revoked over 5 years is required to take the Knowledge and the Road Test (Unless licensure has been maintained during the revocation period with an Ignition Interlock License, and generally must petition the court to restore their driving privileges before their regular license can be reinstated)
What documents are required to take a Knowledge Test:
- One (1) form of identification
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- A Knowledge Test is not required if you have an out-of-state Driver’s License unless your license has been expired over 5 years
- Use the following links to download and study the New Mexico MVD Driver’s License Manuals:
- We stop offering this test one (1) hour prior to closing to ensure you have enough time to complete the test
We are always just a call away!
We understand this test may seem intimidating and confusing to some but don’t worry, In & Out MVD is always just one call away to promptly answer any questions you may have about Knowledge Testing requirements. Getting plenty of rest is essential prior to taking any test and studying the related manual is also recommended. We are committed to giving you the best MVD customer service experience in New Mexico and would love the opportunity to earn your business. Visit or call us today, we are here for YOU!