If you have an illness or medical condition that makes it painful or difficult to walk you may qualify for a handicap placard. People with limited mobility often need to rely on some additional assistance and this may be in the form of a Handicap Placard which allows you to park closer to your destination. Eligible New Mexico residents may apply and obtain up to 2 Handicap Placards which may be used nationwide by the placard-holder. In & Out MVD has you covered and can assist you in the process of obtaining your first Handicap Placard or renewing/replacing your existing Placard. Visit or call us today, no appointment is ever necessary, and we promise to make this process very simple and hassle-free!
Handicap Placards are available for someone who:
- Cannot walk 100 feet without stopping to rest;
- Cannot walk without the use of a brace, cane or crutch or without assistance from another person, a prosthetic device, a wheelchair or other assistive device;
- Is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person’s forced respiratory volume, when exhaling for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty millimeters on room air at rest;
- Uses portable oxygen;
- Has a severe cardiac condition; or
- Is so severely limited in the ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurologic or orthopedic condition that the person cannot ascend or descend more than 10 stair steps.
Speak to your doctor about eligibility or if you struggle with a different disability which may not be listed in the qualifying conditions above but also limits your mobility significantly.
Types of Handicap Placards and qualifying conditions
New Mexico MVD offers the following 2 types of Handicap Placards:
- Permanent Handicap Placard: Expires four years from the date it was issued. Once approved for use of a permanent placard, you will not be required to provide further medical information, however, you will be required to renew this placard every four years.
- Temporary Handicap Placard: May be issued for up to one year based on your physician’s statement attesting to a temporary significant mobility limitation.
How to apply for a First-Time Handicap Placard:
- Ask your licensed Healthcare Provider to fill out and sign form MVD – 10383
- Bring a valid form of Identification (Valid Driver’s License or Government Issued ID)
- Bring the form to one of our MVD locations for processing
How to Renew/Replace your Handicap Placard:
Note: Important reminders regarding Handicap Placards:
- We will need to take a new picture every time you apply for a First-Time, Renewal or Replacement of a Handicap Placard
- You will receive a temporary paper Handicap Placard while you receive your original placard over the mail
- Handicap Placards may be used in other states by the Placard-Holder
- The individual to whom a Handicap Placard is issued is the ONLY person entitled to use it
- Placards may be used in any vehicle the Placard-Holder operates or in which he/she is transported
- No reminder notice will be mailed to the Placard-Holder prior to the expiration date of the placard
It’s all in our name…In & Out!
Applying and obtaining a Handicap Placard is relatively easy, especially if you come to In & Out MVD! We are always committed to making your MVD visit simple and hassle-free by offering unmatched guidance and customer service in our industry. Your questions and concerns are also top priority for us so if you have any inquiries regarding Handicap Placards please do not hesitate to call us prior to your visit just to make sure you have everything you need to process and tackle your transaction in one hassle-free trip. Visit us and see why we are called In & Out MVD…it’s all in our name! Thank you for your consideration.